spring rolls + salad
I hope you are having a wonderful week so far friends!
A lovely friend of mine visited yesterday and I was thrilled to be able to make a healthy and raw lunch for us to enjoy while catching up.
We started our meal with a bowl of warm tomato soup followed by this beautiful plate of raw goodness that is loaded with vitamins, minerals, live enzymes, fibre and antioxidants.
Avocado Spring Roll Ingredients: amounts will vary on how many people you are serving and how full you like to pack your rolls.
- Rice paper wraps
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Vermicelli noodles OR fresh greens would be a great replacement
- Sesame seeds
- Handful of fresh basil
- Boil several cups of water in a kettle or on the stove. this will be used to soften the rice paper wraps.
- In the meantime, wash + julienne chop cucumber, carrots + bell pepper.
- Thinly slice avocado.
- Cook vermicelli noodles OR wash + finely chop greens.
- Once the water has boiled add a few cups of the water to a bowl. I just submerge one rice paper wrap at a time in The water for a few minutes until it is completely soft. remove from water and place on a dry surface. pat dry if necessary.
- Now you get to fill your wrap however you want. I layered the basil, avocado, carrots, cucumbers, red bell pepper, vermicelli noodles and then added a bit of salad dressing I had in my fridge.
- To wrap them gorgeously you have to be a little careful not to tear the rice paper wraps. I'm not sure that there is a right or wrong way to warp them, but I fold in the bottom, side, other bottom then the other side. if that doesn't make any sense... (ha) you can check out this video (that also includes another recipe). I hope that explains it a bit better. it can be a little tricky to make sure they are rolled tightly, but practice makes perfect!
- Sprinkle your beautiful rolls with sesame seeds and serve.
Note: feel free to dip these beauties in any homemade or pre-made (healthy) sauce that tickles your fancy. The possibilities are endless for these fresh spring rolls as there are hundreds of yummy whole food ingredients and combinations you could come up with.
- Several cups of mixed greens - I used kale + spring mix + romaine
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of almonds
- Handful dried cranberries
- Handful of hemp seeds
- A few TBSP of goat cheese (optional)
- Wash + chop greens
- Add the blueberries, almonds, cranberries, hemp seeds and goat cheese.
- Top with salad dressing of your choice.
This is a great meal even if you are busy busy that you can prep the night before and bring to work with you.
Just think of all the envious looks you will get in the lunch room ;)